General National Congress (GNC)
Providing complete and up-to-date access to laws, decrees and other legislation
|Constitutional amendment No. (6) of 2014|
Constitutional Amendment No. (6)
General National Congress
Upon review of:
Issued the following amendment:
Article (30) of the Constitutional Declaration shall be amended to the following:
Within a maximum period of ninety days from the Liberation Declaration, the NTC shall:
10. Within a maximum of 90 days from its first session, the GNC shall:
11. Within the month of February 2014, the GNC shall form a committee to draft a constitutional amendment for presidential and parliamentary elections, provided that such committee concludes its work within 30 days from its date of formation. Based on this amendment, an election law shall be drafted which shall only enter into force after the CDA reports at the middle of its term, in accordance with the content below in Paragraph (12), Item (b).
12. The CDA shall finish drafting the constitution within 120 days from the start of its first session (in March 2014). No later than 60 days from its first session, it shall submit a report to the GNC (in May 2014) indicating whether it will be possible to complete the draft constitution within the above deadline.
- If the Libyan people approve the draft constitution by a majority of two-thirds of voters, the CDA shall ratify the same as the country's Constitution and it shall be referred to the GNC for promulgation.
- If the draft is not approved, the CDA shall revise it and submit it again for referendum within a period of 30 days from the date that the first referendum's results are announced.
- The GNC shall issue a general election law in accordance with the constitution within 30 days from the date that the constitution is promulgated.
- General elections shall be held within 120 days from the date that the organizing laws are issued. The GNC and the interim government shall oversee the preparation of all requirements for holding elections democratically and transparently.
- The High National Elections Commission (which shall be reconstituted by the GNC) shall be responsible for conducting general elections under the supervision of the national judiciary and the oversight of the United Nations and international and regional organizations.
- The High National Elections Commission shall endorse and announce the results, and the new legislature shall be called to session within no more than 30 days from the date that the GNC endorses the results. At its first session, the GNC shall be dissolved and the legislature shall perform its duties.
In all cases, the third transitional phase shall not exceed eight months from the first session of the CDA. This phase may only be extended by a popular referendum.
This amendment shall enter into force from its date of issue, and it shall be published in the Official Gazette.
General National Congress
Issued in Tripoli: