Providing complete and up-to-date access to laws, decrees and other legislation
|Constitutional Amendment No. (7) of 2014|
Constitutional Amendment No. (7) of 2014
The General National Congress
Upon review of:
Issued the following amendment:
Article (30) of the Constitutional Declaration shall be amended as follows:
Within a maximum period of ninety days from the Liberation Declaration, the NTC shall:
10. Within a maximum of 90 days from its first session, the GNC shall:
11. The February Committee's proposal, to the effect that the House of Representatives shall elect a temporary speaker through direct or indirect vote within no more than 45 days from convening its first session, shall be adopted.
12. As soon as the CDA finishes drafting the constitution, it shall be submitted to a yes-or-no referendum within 30 days from the date of approval thereof.
- If the Libyan people approve the draft constitution by a majority of two-thirds of voters, the CDA shall ratify the same as the country's Constitution and it shall be referred to the House of Representatives for issuance.
- If the draft is not approved, the CDA shall revise it and submit it again for referendum within a period of 30 days from the date that the first referendum's results are announced.
- The House of Representatives shall issue a general election law in accordance with the constitution within 30 days from the date that the constitution is promulgated.
- General elections shall be held within 120 days from the date the organizing laws are issued. The House of Representatives and the interim government shall oversee the preparation of all requirements for holding elections democratically and transparently.
- The High National Elections Commission (which shall be reconstituted by the House of Representatives) shall be responsible for conducting general elections under the supervision of the national judiciary and the oversight of the United Nations and international and regional organizations.
- The High National Elections Commission shall endorse and announce the results, and the new legislature shall be called to session within no more than 30 days from the date the House of Representatives endorses the results. At its first session, the House of Representatives shall be dissolved and the legislature shall perform its duties.
This amendment shall enter into force from its date of issue, and it shall be published in the Official Gazette.
General National Congress
Issued in Tripoli:
The Legislative and Constitutional Committee