Resolution of the Interim National Transitional Council
No. (47) of 2012
On Establishing a Military Force
The Interim National Transitional Council
Upon review of:
- The Victory Statement of the 17 February Revolution issued on 22 February 2011;
- The decision forming the National Transitional Council (NTC) and determining its powers;
- The bylaws of the NTC and its internal regulation;
- The Constitutional Declaration of the 17 February Revolution issued on 3 August 2011 and its amendments;
- Law No. (40) of 1974 concerning service in the Libyan army, and its amendments;
- Law No. (11) of 2012 adopting some provisions concerning the command levels of the Libyan army;
In accordance with the provisions of this resolution, a temporary reserve armed force shall be established under the name Libya Shield Force that reports to the Chief of the General Staff of the Libyan army. It shall be composed of revolutionaries who took part in the 17 February Revolution and the Libyan army reserve revolutionaries.
The Chief of the General Staff shall be responsible for issuing the necessary decisions to determine the size of the force, its components and organisational structure.
This resolution shall enter into force from its date of issuance and the concerned bodies shall implement it.
Mustafa Abdul Jalil
President of the National Transitional Council
Issued in Tripoli
On Tuesday, 19/06/2012