Declaration of the Interim National Transitional Council
Affirming the sovereignty of the Libya people over its entire territory – land, sea and air;
In response to the demands of the Libyan people;
In execution of the free will thereof, which was behind the 17 February Revolution;
In order to preserve the unity of the people and the nation;
It has been resolved to form a national council called the "Interim National Transitional Council," which shall be the sole legitimate representative of the Libyan people.
Duties of the National Transitional Council (NTC)
- Ensure the safety of the nation's soil and of its citizens.
- Coordinate national efforts to liberate the remainder of the nation.
- Coordinate local council efforts to work for the return of civilian life.
- Oversee the Military Council so as to ensure the implementation of the Libyan national army's new principle of defending the people and protecting Libya's borders.
- Oversee elections of a constituent assembly to draft a new constitution for the country, which shall be submitted to a popular referendum. The new constitution shall derive its legitimacy from the will of the people and the triumphant 17 February Revolution. It shall be based on respect for human rights, guaranteeing general freedoms, separation of powers, independence of the judiciary, building national institutions on bases that guarantee broad, diverse participation; democratic, peaceful alternation of power; and the right of representation for all classes and segments of the Libyan people.
- Form a transitional government to prepare free elections.
- Conduct and direct foreign policy, organise relations with other countries and regional and international organisations, and represent the Libyan people before such.
Structure of the NTC
- The NTC shall be composed of 30 members representing all regions of Libya and every segment of the Libyan people, provided that there are no less than five members in the NTC drawn from young people.
- The NTC shall select from its own members a president, an official spokesman and coordinators for various internal and external duties.
Seat of the NTC
The permanent seat of the NTC shall be the capital, but its temporary seat shall be the city of Benghazi until the capital is liberated.
The NTC may set a mechanism for periodic and emergency meetings and take decisions in the service of the interest of the Libyan people in a way that does contradict the demands of the people, whose ultimate aspiration was articulated on 17 February as the overthrow of the Gaddafi regime and the establishment of a civil, democratic, constitutional state.
Based on agreement between municipal councils in the different liberated regions Mr. Mustafa Abdel Jalil was selected as president of the NTC and Mr. Abdul Hafiz Abdul Qader Ghoga as his deputy and official speaker of the NTC.
Long live Libya, free and united.
Glory to the martyrs of the 17 February Revolution.
Free Libya on 2 March 2011
The Revolutionaries of 17 February