Constitutional Amendment No. (4) of 2012
Concerning Constitutional Amendment No. (1) of 2012
Upon review of:
The interim Constitutional Declaration issued on 3 August 2011;
Constitutional Amendment No. (1) of 2012, issued on 13 March 2012;
Constitutional Amendment No. (2) of 2012, issued on 10 June 2012;
The results reached by the GNC in its ninth session on 1 September 2012;
The following constitutional amendment was issued:
The last expression in Paragraph 5 of Constitutional Amendment No. (1) of 2012 issued by the interim National Transitional Council (NTC) on 13 March 2012 shall be amended to read as follows:
Legislation shall be issued by the General National Congress (GNC) with a majority of at least 120 members in the following matters:
- Approving the general budget and the State's final accounts.
- Declaring and lifting a state of emergency.
- Declaring and ending war.
- Dismissing the GNC president, his deputies or any members of the GNC.
- Withdrawing confidence from the government.
- Ratifying international treaties.
- Legislation regulating local administration affairs and general elections.
- Legislation that places financial commitments on the public treasury that are not included in the general budget.
- Legislation that sets conditions on holding public and sovereign offices.
10. Anything that endangers civil peace and national unity.
GNC members may move to require a 120 member majority for an issue under discussion. The motion may only be put to a vote upon obtaining the support of five members. The resolution to require such a majority shall pass with a simple majority of members present.
Except in the preceding cases, legislation shall pass with a simple majority of members present.
The period in Paragraph 6 of Constitutional Amendment No. (1) of 2012 shall be amended as follows: "within 50 days from its first session."
This amendment shall be published in the Official Gazette and in various media, and it shall take effect as of 8 August 2012.
General National Congress
Issued in Tripoli
Date: 1 September 2012