General National Congress Resolution No. (26) of 2014
on the Constitutional Drafting Assembly by-elections
The General National Congress
Upon review of:
- The interim Constitutional Declaration issued on 3 August 2011 and the amendments thereof;
- The rules of procedure of the General National Congress;
- Law No. (8) of 2013 on the establishment of the High National Elections Commission;
- Law No. (17) of 2013 on the Constitutional Drafting Assembly elections;
- Law No. (28) of 2013 on the amendment of the political isolation law;
- The conclusions of the 178th ordinary session of the General National Congress held on Sunday 22 Jumada al-Awwal 1435 AH, corresponding to 23/03/2014 AD;
issued the following law:
By-elections shall be conducted in the third (Zuwarah) and fifth (mountain cities including all their villages) sub-districts of the fourth main district (Zawiya) which did not participate in the electoral process, in accordance with the rules and conditions stipulated by Law No. (17) on the election of the Constitutional Drafting Assembly (CDA). Competition in the fifth sub-district shall be limited to the Amazigh seat.
The HNEC shall establish the organizing regulations and implementing measures necessary for conducting by-elections in the electoral districts and centres referred to in Article (1) of this resolution. For this purpose, the HNEC shall determine the deadline for completing all by-election stages.
The HNEC shall propose an election date for the electoral districts and centres subject to this resolution, to be approved by the General National Congress (GNC) in accordance with the law.
The interim government shall take necessary procedures to guarantee the by-elections and provide the necessary support for their execution.
This resolution shall enter into force from its date of issuance and shall be published in the Official Gazette and available media outlets. It shall be implemented by all parties, each within their mandate.
General National Congress – Libya
23 Jumada al-Akhera 1435 AH
Corresponding to 24 March 2014 AD