Resolution No. (18-D) of 2014
of the Commander-in-Chief of the Libyan Army
on forming a military force to establish security in the western region
Upon review of:
- The interim Constitutional Declaration issued on 3 August 2011, and the amendments thereof;
- Based on the powers stipulated by laws;
- Law No. (40) of 1974 on military service, and the amendments thereof;
- Law No. (11) of 2012 on adopting certain provisions pertaining to the powers of command levels in the Libyan Army;
- General National Congress Resolution No. (4) of 2014 announcing the state of alert and general mobilisation;
- General National Congress Resolution No. (6) of 2014 on mandating the GNC president and two deputies to address urgent security situations;
- Based on the reports issued by the General Intelligence Service and the Department of Military Intelligence;
- The letter of the Deputy Minister of Defence for administrative and financial affairs, bearing reference number W.D/1104 dated 26/01/2014;
- Based on the decisions taken at the emergency meeting held on 28/01/2014, chaired by the Commander-in-Chief of the Libyan Army and attended by the Chief of the General Staff and the Deputy Minister of Defence for administrative and financial affairs;
- In response to the call of duty and the needs of the nation;
The Chief of the General Staff shall be tasked to form an armed military force from Libyan Army units and legitimate revolutionary groups to secure the western region against those who violate the sovereignty of the State of Libya and bear arms undermining its national security, to arrest and bring them to justice, to spread safety and security across the western region, and to cleanse the region of this group of attackers, in coordination with the commanders of military zones and the local and military councils of the western region.
Pursuant to the declaration of the state of alert and general mobilisation, the Presidency of the Cabinet and the Minister of Defence are requested to provide all the requirements of such force and to employ all capacities to achieve the mission entrusted thereto by virtue of this resolution.
This resolution shall enter into force from its date of issuance.
Commander-in-Chief of the Libyan Army
Issued on 28/01/2014