Law No. (6) of 1378 FDP corresponding to 2010 AD
adding an article to Law No. 40 of 1974 AD
on service in the Armed People
The General People’s Conference
In execution of the resolutions of the Basic People’s Conferences at its annual session of 1377 FDP;
And upon review of:
- The Great Green Charter of Human Rights of the Jamahiriya Era;
- Law No. (20) of 1991 on promotion of freedom;
- Law No. (1) of 1375 FDP on the work system of People’s Congresses and People’s Committees;
- Law No. (40) of 1974 on service in the Armed People, and its amendments;
- Law No. (1) of 1429 FBP on criminal procedures in the Armed People;
- Law No. (6) of 1374 FDP on the justice system;
drafted the following law:
A new article shall be added to Law No. (40) of 1974 on service in the Armed People under number (86) bis, and the text thereof shall read as follows:
Article (86) bis
Civilians with bachelor’s degrees in law may be appointed to prosecution offices and courts of the Armed People by a decision from the Secretary of the Temporary General Committee for Defence.
The provisions in Part (5), Chapters (1), (2), (3), (4), (5), (6) and (7) of Law No. (6) of 1374 on service in the Armed People and the rules issued pursuant thereto shall apply to the appointees mentioned in the previous paragraph. The Secretary of the Temporary People’s Committee for Defence shall exercise the powers and competencies prescribed for the bodies specified in the aforementioned law.
Said appointees shall also enjoy all benefits prescribed for their counterparts in the judicial bodies provided for in the legislation in force.
Any provision contrary to the provisions of this law shall be repealed.
This law shall be published in the Legal Register, and it shall enter into force from its date of issuance.
General People’s Congress – Libya
Issued in: Sirte
On: 13 Safar 1378 FDP
Corresponding to 28 January 2010 AD