Cabinet Decree No. (308) of 2013
on forming a security operations room for the Joint Deterrence and Intervention Force
Upon review of:
- The Interim Constitutional Declaration issued on 3 August 2011, and the amendments thereof;
- Law No. (40) of 1974 on service in the Armed Forces;
- Law No. (10) of 1992 on security and police;
- Law No. (11) of 2012 on approving certain provisions pertaining to the powers of command levels in the Libyan Army;
- General National Congress Resolution No. (27) of 2013 on the evacuation of illegal armed groups from Tripoli;
- Cabinet Decree No. (19) of 2013 on delegating certain functions to the Prime Minister;
- Cabinet Decree No. (7) of 2012 on issuing the organisational structure and the regulation of the executive unit of the Prime Minister’s Office;
- Cabinet Decree No. (224) of 2013 on establishing the Joint Deterrence and Intervention Force, and the amendments thereof;
A security room shall be established under the name “Security Operations Room of the Joint Deterrence and Intervention Force”. This Security Operations Room (SOR) shall be affiliated with the Cabinet, and it shall work under the direct supervision and control of the Prime Minister. The SOR shall be located in the Mitiga airbase, Tripoli.
The SOR referred to in the previous article shall be composed of a chief, who shall be a police officer of the rank of colonel or above, an assistant chief, who shall be an officer of the Libyan Army, with both being appointed by a decision issued by the Prime Minister, in addition to a number of policemen and officers of the Ministries of Defence and Interior, who shall be delegated in accordance with the legislation in force.
The SOR referred to in Article (1) of this decree shall undertake the following:
- Take all necessary and urgent measures and procedures to enable the Joint Deterrence and Intervention Force to execute the duties set forth by the aforementioned General National Congress (GNC) Resolution No. (27) of 2013.
- Develop security plans to protect Greater Tripoli and purge it of all armed groups and outlaws.
- Establish a legal mechanism for reporting, complaints, and gathering information thereof, and take the necessary legal procedures to refer the same to the Public Prosecution in coordination with the Prosecutor General.
- Submit daily reports.
- Provide all the necessary requirements for the Joint Deterrence and Intervention Force to perform its duties stipulated by the aforementioned establishing Decree No. (224) of 2013 and the amendments thereof;
- The SOR shall have the right, for the performance of its duties, to use all professional and technical means it deems necessary for the performance of its duties. All security entities concerned with the work of the SOR shall take urgent measures to enable the SOR to achieve its security goals.
- Coordinate with civil society organisations and dignitaries of target areas, solicit their help and integrate them in the security plan as appropriate for the nature of their duties in a way that limits excessive use of force in order to protect lives and properties.
- Form a media team for the SOR tasked with documenting infiltrations that are immediately detected. The SOR shall also have a media spokesperson who communicates with the media to clarify the missions and goals of the security plan.
- The SOR shall be entitled to resort to any person it deems necessary to carry out its duties.
The Ministries of Defence and Interior and the Chief of Staff shall pay the salary and all other bonuses, financial benefits, and remunerations of their members, each within its jurisdiction, in accordance with the legislation in force.
SOR officers and policemen shall be governed by the provisions of the legislation in force, each depending on his affiliation, with respect to discipline rules, bonuses, promotion, leave, and other professional affairs.
The SOR shall be composed of several organisational divisions determined by a decision issued by the SOR chief.
The provisions of this decree shall enter into force from its date of issuance, repealing any contrary provision. It shall be implemented by the concerned entities and published in the Official Gazette.
The Cabinet -- Libya
16 Shaaban 1434 AH
Corresponding to 25 June 2013 AD