Law No. (20) of 1423 FBP
on fortifying and protecting the Arab Libyan Coast
The General People’s Congress
- In execution of the resolutions adopted by Basic People’s Congresses in their second ordinary session of 1403 FDP/1993 AD and formulated by the General Forum of People’s Congresses, People’s Committees, syndicates, unions and professional associations (General People’s Congress) during its second ordinary session for the period of 10-17 Shaaban corresponding to 22-29 January 1423 FBP;
Upon review of:
- The Declaration on the Establishment of the Authority of the People;
- Law No. (116) of 1972 on organising urban development;
- Law No. (37) of 1974 on the Military Penal Code;
- Law No. (2) of 1979 on economic crimes;
- Law No. (5) of 1982 on the protection of pastures and forests, and the amendments thereof;
- Law No. (3) of 1984 on the Armed People;
- Law No. (21) of 1984 on public benefit and land use;
- Law No. (7) of 1986 on annulling land ownership;
- Law No. (9) of 1987 on national service;
- Law No. (5) of 1988 on the establishment of the People’s Court, and the amendments thereof;
- Law No. (15) of 1989 on the protection of animals and trees;
- Law No. (21) of 1991 on general mobilisation;
- Law No. (9) of 1992 on the protection of agricultural lands;
- The Penal Code;
- Law No. (3) of 1423 FBP on People’s Committees;
formulated the following law:
The fortification and protection of the Arab Libyan coast shall be the responsibility of Basic People’s Congresses. They shall assume this responsibility and protect the coast in accordance with the provisions of this law and the implementing decisions thereof.
In applying the provisions of this law, the Arab Libyan coast shall mean the coasts of the Great Jamahiriya and the lands designated for this purpose and identified by a General People’s Committee decree.
The lands that are designated to fortify and protect the Arab Libyan coast shall be considered works of public benefit.
The Arab Libyan coast shall be divided into partitions whose fortification shall be entrusted to Basic People’s Congresses and defence zones. Such partitions and their fortifying entities shall be determined by a General People’s Committee decree.
The human, financial, and technical resources of Basic People’s Congresses, agencies, institutions, companies and their equivalent shall be used to contribute to the fortification of the Arab Libyan coast.
Existing or future fortifications shall be protected by Basic People’s Congresses through:
- Local People’s Defence units
- Armed People Alternate Units
- Security and police forces
- Any other entity assigned for this purpose
Such entities shall coordinate to perform this duty.
Any person who sabotages, destroys, tampers with, or steals the fortifications or their components shall be sentenced to prison for a minimum period of ten years.
If such act is committed in time of war, it shall be punished by life imprisonment.
Any person who knows about the commission of any of the acts stated in the foregoing article and refrains from reporting such act shall be punished by imprisonment.
This law shall be published in the Official Gazette and the various media outlets. It shall enter into force from its date of publication in the Official Gazette.
General People’s Congress – Libya
Issued in Sirte on 17 Shaaban 1403 FDP
Corresponding to 29 January 1423 FBP