Law No. (50) of 2012
on compensation of political prisoners
The Interim National Transitional Council
Upon review of:
- The Victory Statement of the 17 February Revolution issued on 22 February 2011;
- The interim Constitutional Declaration issued on 3 August 2011;
- The Civil Law;
- The Code of Civil and Commercial Procedure;
- The military laws in force;
- Law No. (17) of 2012 on the rules of national reconciliation and transitional justice, and the amendments thereof;
- The National Transitional Council's statements on public freedoms and human rights;
- Based on the Cabinet's proposal;
- The National Transitional Council's decisions issued in its session held on Sunday 10/06/2012;
Issued the following law:
For the purpose of implementation of the provisions of this law, the term “prisoner” shall refer to any civilian or military person detained in prison or special detention camps from 01/09/1969 to 15/02/2011 due to opposition to the former regime.
Prisoners subject to the provisions of this law shall be granted a compensation of eight thousand (8,000) LYD per month, including all indemnification for such incident. Any amounts previously disbursed thereto shall be deducted. The Cabinet shall issue a regulation specifying the rules and methods for disbursing such compensation.
All convictions against the persons subject to this law and the related effects thereof shall be revoked.
This law shall enter into force from its date of issuance and shall be published in the Official Gazette.
Interim National Transitional Council – Libya