National Transitional Council
Resolution No. (43) of 2012
on the establishment of the National Press Foundation
The Interim National Transitional Council
Upon review of:
- The Victory Statement of the 17 February Revolution issued on 22 February 2011;
- The resolution forming the Interim National Transitional Council and determining its powers;
- The bylaws of the National Transitional Council and its internal regulation;
- The Constitutional Declaration issued on 3 August 2011, and the amendments thereof;
- National Transitional Council Resolution No. (194) of 2011 on amending National Transitional Council Resolution No. (172) of 2011 on approving bodies subordinate to the government;
A public foundation shall be founded to be called the National Press Foundation that shall be subordinate to the Interim Higher Media Council. It shall be administered by a managing committee as follows:
- Mr Mohamed Omar Rajeh, as chairman
- Mr Hazem Masoud al-Naami, as member
- Mr Salem Ali al-Abbar, as member
- Mr Osama Ibrahim Said, as member
- Mr Fayez Mohamed al-Ferjani, as member
- Mr Taha al-Nasser al-Sherif, as member
- Mr Ahmed Belayaf, as member
- Mrs Halima Jiroush, as member
- Mrs Amal al-Sharrad, as member
- Mr Moftah Omar Mansour, as member
- Mr Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, as member
- Mr Mohamed Salem al-Azzabi, as member
The National Press Foundation shall be responsible for the following:
- Provide opinions of all matters pertaining to the media.
- Take all measures to support the development of the press in a manner consistent with current developments in the press industry by promoting research and development in the domains of this industry and in the conditions of national press institutions in all aspects of press activity, in cooperation with technical, local and international bodies and committees.
- Monitor the journalistic performance of press institutions effectively.
- Help draft a code of ethics for the media.
- Draft a future vision for press work.
- Protect press work, ensure the rights of journalists, and guarantee their performance and duties.
- Monitor and evaluate what newspapers publish and issue periodic reports about the degree to which they abide by professional ethics and the media code of ethics.
- Guarantee that newspapers and journalists respect the right of response and the right to correction.
- Draft a general policy that aims to improve the media in the country.
This resolution shall enter into effect from its date of issuance, and it shall be published in the Official Gazette. Any contrary provision shall be abolished.
Interim National Transitional Council – Libya
Issued in Tripoli
On / / 2012