Law No. (11) of 1427 FBP
adopting certain provisions pertaining to criminal cases
and amending provisions of the Penal Code and the Code of Criminal Procedure
The General People’s Congress
- In execution of the resolutions adopted by Basic People’s Congresses in their second ordinary session of 1427 FBP and formulated by the General Forum of People’s Congresses, People’s Committees, syndicates, unions and professional associations (General People’s Congress) during its ordinary session for the period of 25-29 Shaaban corresponding to 25-29 December 1427 FBP;
Upon review of:
- The Great Green Charter of Human Rights of the Jamahiriya Era;
- Law No. (20) of 1991 on the promotion of freedom;
- Law No. (1) of 1425 FBP on the work system of People’s Congresses and People’s Committees;
- The Penal Code and the Code of Criminal Procedure;
- Law No. (51) of 1976 on the justice system and the amendments thereof;
formulated the following law:
Crimes and criminal cases shall not be subject to prescription.
Article (13) of the Code of Criminal Procedure shall be amended as follows:
Article (13): Judicial Officers.
- The following shall be regarded as judicial officers, each within their jurisdiction:
- Members of the General People’s Committee for General Security
- Chairmen and members of cleansing committees that are established in accordance with the law.
- Members of local people’s security.
- Officers, non-commissioned officers, and members of the Armed People who are in charge of border control.
- Officers and non-commissioned officers of the rank of sergeant and higher of the police, customs guard, municipal guard, and agricultural inspection.
- Personnel who are granted the competences of judicial officers by law.
- The powers of judicial officers may be vested in individuals who are appointed by a resolution by the General People’s Committee at the proposal of the competent General People’s Committees.
This law shall be published in the Official Gazette and the various media outlets. It shall enter into force from its date of publication in the Official Gazette.
General People’s Congress – Libya
Issued in Sirte
On 29 December 1427 FBP