Law No. (4) of 2014
on the Libyan Red Crescent
The General National Congress
Upon review of:
- The Constitutional Declaration issued on 03/08/2011, and the amendments thereof;
- The rules of procedure of the General National Congress;
- The Civil Code and its amendments;
- Law No. (11) of 1971 on civil defence;
- Law No. (10) of 1992 on security and police;
- Law No. 19/1369 on the reorganisation of NGOs;
- Resolution No. (437) of 2008 on the establishment of the National Safety Authority;
- Resolution No. (137) of 2006 on the establishment of the Permanent National Relief Commission;
- The decisions of the General National Congress in its 164th ordinary session held on Tuesday 4 Rabi’ al-Awwal 1435 AH corresponding to 24/02/2014;
issued the following law:
The Libyan Red Crescent is a volunteer humanitarian organisation that possesses its own logo. It shall be an institution in the form of an independent national association of public benefit as set forth by the Geneva Conventions and their Additional Protocols. Its work shall be guided by the basic international principles applicable in this respect. It shall assist the public authorities and provide aid and support to the most vulnerable groups without discrimination when necessary or requested.
The Libyan Red Crescent Society shall work inside and outside Libya to care for human dignity and the right to life. It shall be the only entity to assume the functions of the Red Crescent at the local, regional, and international levels. The funds thereof shall enjoy the sanctity of public funds, and the employees thereof shall have the capacity of civil servants during the performance of their volunteer work.
The Red Crescent Society shall propagate humanitarian law inside and outside the country. It shall have the right to receive and issue calls for help regarding its international activity.
The board of directors of the Red Crescent Society shall be solely responsible for the management of the Society’s affairs and the legal representation thereof before all local and international entities. It shall also have the right to resort to official authorities to achieve the Society’s objectives.
The statute of the Society shall be issued and approved by the Cabinet based on the proposal of the general assembly of the Society. The statute shall include the detailed rules governing its work mechanism, its organisational nomenclature, and its competences and powers stipulated in accordance with the basic rules prescribed in Article (1) of this law.
This law shall enter into force from its date of issuance. It shall be published in the Official Gazette. Any provision that contravenes the provisions hereof shall be repealed.
General National Congress – Libya
Issued in Tripoli
On 5 Rabi’ al-Akhera 1435 AH
Corresponding to 05/02/2014 AD