General National Congress Resolution
No. (59) of 2013
on the Abu Salim prison massacre
The General National Congress
Upon Review of:
- The interim Constitutional Declaration issued on 3 August 2011 and the amendments thereof;
- The bylaws of the General National Congress;
- The conclusions of the General National Congress in its session held on 8 January 2013;
issued the following resolution:
By a resolution from the Minister of Assistance to Martyrs and Families of Missing Persons, a special committee shall be formed and composed of:
- A counsellor of the grade of court of appeal president, to be proposed by court’s general assembly, as president;
- A member of the prosecution with the Prosecutor General’s office holding the grade of Chief Prosecutor as proposed by the Public Prosecutor, as member;
- A judge who holds a position no lower than deputy court president, to be proposed by the Court’s General Assembly, as member;
- A member of Dar al-Iftaa, chosen by the Mufti of the Libyan Dar al-Iftaa, as member.
The purpose of such committee shall be to look into and investigate the Abu Salim prison massacre of 1996. It shall also undertake to tally the number of missing from the massacre, facilitate the procedures for verifying their deaths and to submit a proposal on reparations and benefits owed to their families and relatives.
The location of the Abu Salim prison massacre shall be designated for the establishment of a mosque, bookstore, and park in the name of the martyrs of the Abu Salim massacre and a memorial engraved with the names of the martyrs. The date of this crime shall be a national day of mourning and flags shall be flown at half-mast.
The Prosecutor General shall take the legal measures to guarantee the investigation of the massacre, to identify the perpetrators and to bring them to justice as quickly as possible in order to sentence them with a deterrent penalty.
The Abu Salim prison massacre shall be regarded as an act of genocide and whoever is proven to have committed in this crime or participated in it shall be punished accordingly.
The provisions of this resolution shall enter into force from its date of issuance and it shall be published in the Official Gazette.
General National Assembly – Libya
Issued in Tripoli
On 17 Shaaban 1434 AH
Corresponding to 26 June 2013 AD