General National Congress
Resolution No. (127) of 2013
on dissolving armed units and adopting certain provisions thereon
The General National Congress
Upon review of:
- The Interim Constitutional Declaration issued on 3 August 2011, and the amendments thereof;
- The General National Congress’s rules of procedure;
- Law No. (40) of 1974 on service in the Armed Forces and the amendments thereof;
- Law No. (10) of 1992 on security and police;
- Law No. (11) of 2012 approving some provisions concerning the powers of command levels in the Libyan Army and the military legislation in force;
- The General National Congress Resolution No. (27) of 2013 on the evacuation of illegal armed groups from Tripoli;
- The General National Congress Resolution No. (53) of 2013 on the tragic events that took place in Benghazi;
- The conclusions of the General National Congress in its 149th ordinary session held on Sunday 12 Safar 1435 AH corresponding to 15 December 2013 AD;
issued the following resolution:
All armed units, groups, and battalions shall be dissolved regardless of their appellations and affiliations. Only the army and the police shall remain in accordance with their governing legal provisions.
In all cases, no armed components may be formed unless their members hold military numbers, are directly affiliated with the Libyan Army or the police, or work for any of their lawful components.
The Ministry of Defence and the Ministry of Interior shall implement the provisions of this resolution, each within its mandate and by mutual coordination. In all cases, the enrolment of the members of armed units, groups, and battalions in the Army or the police shall be effected individually and not in the form of groups.
The remuneration of individuals who refuse to join the army or the police in accordance with the provisions of this resolution and the legislation in force shall cease to be disbursed.
The Penal Code and the relevant military laws shall be applicable to any person who violates the provisions of this resolution and the legislation in force.
This resolution shall enter into force from its date of issuance. It shall be published in the Official Gazette.
General National Congress – Libya
Issued in Tripoli
On 26 Safar 1435 AH
Corresponding to 30 December 2013 AD