General National Congress
Resolution No. (44) of 2014
declaring a state of alert and general mobilisation
and appointing the head of the national salvation government
The General National Congress
Upon review of:
- The interim Constitutional Declaration issued on 3 August 2011 and the amendments thereof;
- The rules of procedure of the General National Congress;
- General National Congress Resolution No. (23) of 2014 on withdrawing confidence from the prime minister of the interim government and appointing a prime minister of a caretaker government;
- The statement issued by the Chief of the General Staff of the Libyan Army on 24 August 2014;
- The extreme measures required by the situation in the country;
issued the following resolution :
A state of alert and general mobilisation shall be declared in all the civil and military facilities and institutions of the State. Military and security institutions shall be placed in the utmost state of readiness in anticipation of any contingencies that may threaten the sovereignty, security, or stability of the State.
The Prime Minister of the caretaker government and Minister of Defence Mr. Abdullah Abdul-Rahman al-Tani shall be removed from his position. Mr. Umar Sulayman Salih al-Hasi shall be assigned to form a national salvation government within one week from the present resolution. Such government shall take the legal oath before the Chairman of the General National Congress before exercising its functions.
All citizens and legal entities, whether public or private, shall assist and cooperate with the security and military institutions of the State to maintain security and enforce the rule of law.
This resolution shall enter into force from its date of issuance. It shall be published in the Official Gazette and the available media outlets. Any contrary provisions shall be repealed. This resolution shall be implemented by all the concerned entities.
General National Congress – Libya
Issued in Tripoli
On 29 Shawwal 1435 AH
Corresponding to 25 August 2014 AD