Law No. (2) of 2004
amending certain provisions of Law No. (6) of 1987
on organising the entry and residence of foreigners in Libya
The General People’s Congress
- In execution of the resolutions adopted by Basic People’s Congresses in their general annual session of 1371 FDP;
Upon review of:
- The Declaration on the Establishment of the Authority of the People;
- The Great Green Charter of Human Rights of the Jamahiriya Era;
- Law No. (20) of 1991 on the promotion of freedom;
- Law No. (1) of 1369 FDP on People’s Congresses and People’s Committees;
- Law No. (6) of 1987 on organising the entry and residence of foreigners in Libya;
- Law No. (10) of 1989 on the rights and obligations of Arabs in Libya;
formulated the following law:
Articles (6) and (19) of Law No. (6) of 1987 shall be replaced with the following texts:
Foreigners may be granted multiple-entry visas when the nature of their work so requires. They may be granted multiple entry and exit visa for the duration of their permitted residence if they have a residence permit.
The General People’s Committee for General Security may facilitate the entry and exit visa procedures for tourism and investment purposes.
Residence and visa requirements and their validity period shall be set forth by the executive regulation.
Without prejudice to any harsher penalty stipulated by any other law, detention and a fine of no less than LYD two thousand, or either penalty, shall be imposed on:
- Any person who knowingly gives a false statement or presents false data or papers to facilitate the entry, exit, or residence in the country for himself or another person in contravention of the provisions of this law.
- Any person who enters, exits, or resides in the country without a valid visa issued by the competent authorities in accordance with the provisions of this law.
- Any person who contravenes the requirements for the granting, extension, or renewal of visas.
- Any person who remains in the country after he is requested to leave by the competent authorities in accordance with the provisions of this law.
- Any person who employs a foreigner without abiding by the provisions of Article (9) of this law.
A new article titled Article (19) bis shall be added to Law No. (6) of 1987, which shall be worded as follows:
Article (19) bis:
Without prejudice to any harsher penalty stipulated by any other law, detention for at least one year and a fine of no less than LYD one thousand shall be imposed on anyone who commits any of the following acts directly to acquire for himself or for others a material or non-material benefit:
- Smuggle immigrants by any means.
- Produce, provide, or possess travel documents or fake identity for them.
- Organise or direct other persons to commit any of the acts stipulated in this article.
In all cases, a confiscation order shall be issued with regard to any money resulting from the crime and any amounts and means used or prepared to be used to commit such crime.
Any provision contrary to the provisions of this law shall be repealed.
This law shall enter into force from its date of issuance. It shall be published in the Legal Register.
General People’s Congress – Libya
Issued in Sirte
On 6 March 1372 FDP