General People’s Committee
Decree No. (678) of 1986
on the regulation for organising and issuing sea and air travel documents
The General People’s Committee
Upon review of:
- Law No. (4) of 1985 on travel documents;
- General People’s Committee Decree No. (194) of 1986 on distributing some competencies assigned to the Secretariat of Justice;
- General People’s Committee Decree No. (522) of 1986 on organising the exercise of competencies assigned to the Secretariat of Justice;
- The General Directorate for Passports and Nationality Letter No. (07/10/6089) of 23/Safar/1396 FDP corresponding to 27/10/1986 AD;
Sea and air passports shall be issued for citizens of the Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiriya who work on ships and airplanes whose paths traverse regional waters and airspace.
Carrying a passport is to be considered the equivalent of holding a required professional license for working on the crew of a ship and airplane during their trips, with the exception of military personnel working on ships and airplanes.
The following conditions must be met in order to obtain a sea or air passport:
- The applicant must be a citizen of the Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiriya.
- He must be above 18 years of age.
- He must have a medical report certified by competent bodies confirming that he is physically fit to carry out the job.
- He must meet the educational and technical skill levels required by the job.
- He must never have been convicted of a felony or a crime of moral turpitude, unless he has been rehabilitated.
Requests for sea or air passports shall be made to the Passports Department in the General Directorate for Passports and Nationality with the designated form along with the following documents:
- Form No. (5C) prepared by virtue of General People’s Committee Decree No. (395/82).
- A copy of the nationality certificate.
- A physical fitness certificate in accordance with the form specified by the General People’s Committee for sea transportation and transport.
- Criminal status certificate.
- The approval of the employer with which the passport requester is associated.
- Four 3 × 4 cm. passport photographs certified by the employer.
- Women must obtain the approval of their husband or guardian.
The General Directorate for Passports and Nationality shall have jurisdiction over issuing and renewing sea and air passports for Libyan civilian ship and airplane crew members.
Sea and air passports may only be used for transport for the purposes of work, joining the ship or airplane in which the bearer works or to return to the Jamahiriya.
The sea or air passport shall valid for a period of three years from its date of issuance. It may be renewed once for a period of three additional years.
The following is required for the renewal of the sea or air passport:
- Certified renewal form.
- Request from the employer.
- Physical fitness certificate.
A new passport may be attached to an existing one if visa pages have run out and the existing passport is still valid.
Fees for issuing and renewing sea and air passports are determined on the following basis:
- Issuing a sea or air passport (10) (LYD 10).
- Issuing a sea or air passport in exchange for a lost or damaged one (20) (LYD 20).
- Renewing the validity of the sea or air passport (5) (LYD 5).
Upon the loss of a passport, the person concerned must inform the nearest passport office, or People’s Bureau if the loss occurred outside of the Jamahiriya, within 48 hours of the loss.
The office that receives the notice must notify the General Directorate for Passports and Nationality within the same period so that the necessary procedures concerning the lost passport may be taken and completed.
No new passport may be issued to replace one that has been lost before the completion of one year from the date the General Directorate for Passports and Nationality was notified, unless the loss was beyond the control of the bearer.
An exemption can be made to the above and a new passport issued to replace a lost one with the approval of the Head of the General Directorate for Passports and Nationality on the basis of grounds displayed by a representative from the sector in which the passport bearer is employed.
In the case of a passport lost outside of the Jamahiriya, the competent People’s Bureau shall be responsible for issuing a temporary travel document for the bearer of the lost passport that is valid for their return to the Jamahiriya.
A sea or air passport shall be revoked and deemed invalid in the following circumstances:
- Upon the death of its owner.
- If the Arab citizenship of the bearer is revoked.
- If it was issued on the basis of false information.
- If any tampering or alteration of the information is found.
- If the passport is lost or missing.
- Upon completion of the purpose for which it was issued.
The competent body for sea affairs and the Libyan Arab Airlines company shall revoke the sea or air passport upon the completion of the bearer’s service and refer the same to the competent passport office in the General Directorate for Passports and Nationality.
The General Directorate for Passports and Nationality, sea affairs unit, and Libyan Arab Airlines company shall prepare registers to record and control all issued passports and comprehensive data on the bearer of the passport.
The data, descriptions, and forms necessary for a sea and air passport shall be determined by virtue of a decision from the Head of the General Directorate for Passports and Nationality in coordination with the Secretary of the General People’s Committee for Sea Transportation and Transport.
A decree by the General People’s Committee for Sea Transportation and Transport determines the physical fitness and education and technical skills conditions necessary for the job.
Sea and air travel documents currently in force shall remain valid until their expiration.
Any provision contrary to the provisions of this regulation shall be repealed.
This regulation shall enter into force from its date of issuance and shall be published in the Official Gazette.
General People’s Committee – Libya
Issued on: 14 Rabi' al-Awwal 1396 FDP
Corresponding to: 17/11/1986 AD