General People's Committee
Decree No. (80) of 1378 FDP (2010 AD)
on possessing radioactive sources and radiation-emitting devices
The General People's Committee,
Upon review of:
- Law No. (1) of 1375 FDP on the rules of procedure of the People's Congresses and the People's Committees, and the implementing regulations thereof;
- The Commercial Code;
- Law No. (54) of 1973 AD on establishing the Atomic Energy Establishment;
- Law No. (2) of 1982 AD on regulating the use of ionizing radiation and protecting from the risks thereof;
- General People's Committee Decree No. (449) of 1376 FDP approving certain provisions on the National Atomic Energy Establishment;
- Based on the proposal of the Secretary of the Atomic Energy Establishment in Letter No. (600) dated 28/12/1377 FDP;
- The approval of the General People's Committee in its fifth ordinary meeting of 1378 FDP;
The possession, use, import, or export of radioactive sources or any device emitting ionizing radiation without first obtaining a permit from the Atomic Energy Establishment shall be prohibited. The Atomic Energy Establishment alone may inspect and oversee activities engaged in by any body whatsoever related to all types of radioactive sources and devices emitting ionizing radiation.
A committee for protection against the risks of ionising radiation shall be formed. The committee shall be presided over by the director of the Nuclear Oversight Office at the Atomic Energy Establishment and have delegates from the following bodies as members:
- General People's Committee for Health and the Environment
- General People's Committee for Utilities
- General People's Committee for Industry, Economy, and Trade
- General People's Committee for Agriculture, Animal and Sea Wealth.
- National Oil Corporation
- General Electricity Company
- Universities and higher educational institutions specialized in the education and scientific research sector
A decree naming the delegates shall be issued by the competent secretary or person holding the powers thereof. The committee may exercise the competencies set out under a decree issued by the Administrative Board of the Atomic Energy Establishment, in accordance with Law No. (2) of 1982 AD. This decree shall include the issuance of lump-sum financial compensation to the committee, the value of which and the procedures for its disbursal shall be set out in such decree.
The Atomic Energy Department shall issue the necessary decrees on the controls on the issuance of licenses and possession of radioactive sources and radiation-emitting devices.
This Decree shall enter into force on the date of its issuance and any provision that conflicts with the provisions hereof shall be repealed. This Decree shall be implemented by the competent bodies.
General People's Committee – Libya
Issued on 04 Rabi' al-Thani
Corresponding to: 20/03/2010 AD