Law No. (55) of 1976
issuing the Civil Service Law
In the name of the people
The Revolutionary Command Council:
Upon review of:
- The Constitutional Declaration;
- Civil Service Law No. (19) of 1964 and the amending laws thereof;
- The law of the financial system of the State of Libya issued on 21 Rajab 1386 AH, corresponding to 24 March 1976 AD, and the amending laws thereof;
- The retirement law issued on 17 Dhu al-Hijja 1386 AH, corresponding to 28 March 1967 AD, and the amending laws thereof;
- Law No. (29) of 1970 on delegating powers as amended by Law No. (147) of 1970;
- Law No. (62) of 1971 on equal eligibility for leaves;
- Law No. (72) of 1973 on Social Security;
- Law No. (88) of 1974 on the reorganisation of the Central Authority for Public Administration Control;
- Law No. (16) of 1975 on transferring the powers and responsibilities of the governorates and their directorates to the ministries;
- Law No. (27) of 1975 on the organisation of the Ministry of Labour and Civil Service;
- Law No. (39) of 1975 on municipalities;
- Law No. (79) of 1975 on the Audit Office;
- And based on the proposal of the Minister of Labour and Civil Service and the approval of the Cabinet.
issued the following law:
Civil service shall be undertaken as per the provisions of the attached law.
The aforementioned Law No. (19) of 1964 and the amending laws thereof shall be repealed.
Any contrary provision shall also be repealed, and until the executive regulations thereof are issued, the other regulations currently in force shall continue to apply, to the extent that they do not contradict its provisions.
The expression “the Minister of Labour and Civil Service” shall replace the expression “the Civil Service Committee” wherever mentioned in legislation.
Each minister shall implement this law with his mandate. It shall enter into force starting the 1 September 1976 and shall be published in the Official Gazette.
The Revolutionary Command Council
Major Abdessalam Ahmad Jalloud
Minister of Labour and Civil Service
Issued on 16 Rajab 1396 AH
Corresponding to 14 July 1976 AD